Aspiration (surgical) abortion
The cost of a aspiration abortion is covered by the Medical Insurance Plan of BC (MSP).
Those who are not eligible for MSP, including those with out-of-province medical coverage, will pay a fee of $500 to $550 for the aspiration abortion procedure. If you are unsure whether you have coverage or not, please check with the MSP website or call:
Lower Mainland: 604 683-7151
Elsewhere in B.C.: 1 800 663-7100 (toll-free)
- Mifegymiso® (mifepristone and misoprostol) is now covered under PharmaCare’s new Assurance Plan (Plan Z). Any B.C. resident with active MSP coverage is automatically covered by Plan Z.
- An exceptional process can provide new B.C. residents with full coverage for Mifegymiso if they are in the wait period for Medical Services Plan (MSP) coverage. New residents must have enrolled with MSP to qualify for exceptional coverage for Mifegymiso. See MSP Eligibility and Enrolment for how to enrol in MSP. Time to complete this process may vary.
- A pharmacist must submit the exceptional coverage request form to PharmaCare Special Authority. It can be approved usually within one weekday (depending on the time of day the request is received).
With valid MSP coverage, the cost of the medical abortion appointments and the medication is covered, but there is an additional cost for the pain medicines of about $50. If you have extended medical insurance, this may be covered in whole or partly. If you have Fair Pharmacare, the cost of the pain medications could be covered partly or entirely, depending on your deductible. If you have First Nations status the cost is covered. Bring your card with you (i.e. Blue Cross, Green Shield, Manulife, Fair Pharmacare, First Nations status card or number).
Without MSP coverage, the cost will be about $785 altogether, which includes the clinic appointments and the cost of the medications. It also cover the cost of an aspiration procedure afterward should that be necessary. For those with medical insurance from another province other than Quebec, the cost of the medications is about $410, although those with additional coverage as listed above may pay less.
There is a $30 fee for those without MSP who cancel a non-abortion appointment within two business days of the time of the appointment, or who fail to show up for the appointment.
Those without insurance should be aware that there are times when they might need follow-up blood tests and/or other medical services and that they will be responsible for paying for these.
If someone needs an interpreter for the appointment and they cancel within two days of the date of the appointment, there will be a $100 fee.
If you receive MSP coverage after your abortion at our clinic:
1. Please check with MSP to find out if your coverage effective date includes your procedure date (date of service). If the answer is yes, you can contact our clinic to request a refund. If no, you are not eligible for a refund. (Coverage is by the month starting the first day of that month.)
2. Please note a refund process may take 3-4 weeks. We reserve the right to charge an administrative fee of $50.
We accept credit (Visa, Mastercard), debit, and cash.
Other Canadian insurance
Those who have medical coverage from another Canadian province or territory other than Quebec can have the cost of their surgical procedure covered at the CARE Program. For those who prefer to come here, you can apply to your provincial plan to receive partial reimbursement paid directly to you.
We accept refugee documentation (FAS Benefits) for medical services. You will need to bring all of your original immigration documents, not photocopies, with you to the clinic when you come for your appointment.
Our counselling services are free. They include help with the decision whether or not to have an abortion and counselling after an abortion. Post-abortion counselling is also available to those who have had an abortion at another facility. You can call us or use the contact form to request a counselling appointment.